- Biocair customer in UK required a consignment of cell lines to be shipped to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
- Consignment consisted of 1 pallet (120x100x70cms) plus 1 carton (50x40x40cms).
- Must be kept at +2 to +8.C at all times during transit.
- High Value – cannot afford to lose the product due to temperature excursion.
- High temperatures (> +40.C) in Jeddah
- Water based 2-8.C Passive solutions unsuitable.
- PCM based 2-8.C Passive solutions unlikely to maintain beyond 96hrs.
- Risk of transit time door-door exceeding 96hrs due customs clearance time.
- High cost of returning pallet-sized PCM based solutions (if used)
- Refrigerated Storage at Jeddah Airport unable to accommodate pallets.
- No electrical plug-ins available in Jeddah for Envirotainer/C-Safe/UniCooler active aircraft containers.
- Due diligence checks performed with other Airlines.
- Airline with own bond/warehouse with electrical plug-ins identified.
- Biocair’s requirements advised to airline – airline confirmed ok to these.
- Biocair leased 1 x active temperature controlled aircraft container.
- Consignment collected in our own dedicated (TCV), set @ +5.C
- Consignment x-rayed / security screened & transferred to +5.C container.
- Active container charged to 100% power at LHR.
- Consignment flown to Jeddah & plugged into power supply on arrival.
- Customs clearance and payment of duty/tax performed in Jeddah.
- Consignment transferred to +5.C TCV following customs clearance.
- Driven to consignee for final delivery.
- Temperature Monitors retrieved, stopped, downloaded upon delivery.
- Results emailed to shipper in UK – no excursions.
Photo: Envirotainer AB